Anyone with an intolerance to gluten, also known as celiac disease, knows that even a small amount of this substance can cause serious and uncomfortable health problems. There are any number of things that need to be removed from a person’s diet if they suffer from this food allergy. Even things like pizza, since wheat flour is normally used to make the crust.
There are alternatives. It is possible to make a tasty pizza crust without using wheat flour. But, few people know the recipe. Here’s one that’s easy to make and tasty too. Others can be found at wehat-free.org, the online site for information and tips on how to live a better life with this food allergy, bakespace.com, and others.
2/3 cups brown rice flour
½ cups tapioca flour
½ ounce of dried, gluten free yeast (two packets)
2 tsps xanthan gum
1 tsp unflavored gelatin (ex, agar agar)
1 tsp dried oregano
½ teaspoon of salt
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
½ teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup warm water
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Combine rice flour, tapioca flour, yeast, xanthan gum, gelatine, oregano, and salt in a mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed.
3. In another bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and water.
4. Make a depression in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into this depression, then beat all together by hand for 5-6 minutes. Dough will be soft and sticky.
5. Lightly oil a cutting board or baking sheet larger than 12 inches across each way. Put the dough on the sheet and knead the dough by hand into a circle about 12 inches across. Use some more of the rice flour sprinkled onto the surface to keep the dough from sticking as needed.
6. Make the edge all the way around slightly thicker than the rest of the area. Remember you’re making a pizza!
7. Bake pizza crust on middle rack for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
7. Top with tomato sauce, then grated cheese and your favorite toppings.
8. Place back in oven and bake for 20 minutes to a half hour, or until the crust is golden brown.
If followed correctly, this recipe will make a pizza crust that tastes just about the same as other pizzas. Makes one 12-inch pizza. Enjoy!